Friday, 2 May 2014

5 Awful Fashion Trends We All Loved Growing Up

Hello!

Inspired by Kirstie's great post from A Yellow Brick Blog, I thought I'd share some of those awful fashion trends that us 2000s teenage girls wore growing up! Since I'm turning 20 this year, I thought I could reflect with all of you what our teenage fashion years were all about!

What was odd was that as I thought about the trends of the past, so many of them are actually fashionable today like leggings and tying things around your waist! I would have never done that and thought it was cool 5 years ago!

...and in no particular order, here's my 5 special mentions!

5
Tutus as casual-wear


Don't know about you but neon accessories and tutus (usually from Camden) were all the rage when I was 12/13! Paired with leggings and uggs (ughs!)...

Haaaawt! (maybe not so...)



4
Studded Belts


The Avril Lavigne inspired rock-chick look - let's not go back...
 Saying that, looking into the future of Avril Lavigne's fashion choices doesn't seem so great either judging from her latest music video...


I was horrified to say the least! 
Also, I don't agree with people calling it racist - it seems more racist in itself to say this video is just because it's of a different culture with a different type of fashion and a language which isn't English. Avril Lavigne is expressing her love for the Japanese 'cute' culture and fashion as she states in her tweets - what's so negative about that?



3
 Uggs
Some people probably still like wearing Uggs (and I think black uggs look nice) BUT come on now, they're not the most fashionable (and attractive) shoe are they?!

Admittedly when I was 14 I had a pair of Emus but now I look back - they are so incredibly uncomfortable to wear and so bad for your feet! There's no support whatsoever!

There are however shoes worse than this...

what grumpy cat says



2
Paul's Boutique Handbags

Sorry PB but tweens using these bags has tarnished your reputation a little! I can't speak for their recent designs (which I'm sure are lovely) but these were all the rage when I was 14/15! You either already had one or you were wishing for one (hard)! 

Maybe this bag's not so cool if you want to be taken seriously now!



1
Rara Skirts



RARA! These flirty layered skirts were so awesome then, maybe not so awesome now!
To be fair, I have picked quite an ugly one for the picture but they are a little ridiculous now I look back - it looks like something a little girl would wear! I used to have a lovely ultramarine floral one from Sharei Lamar in Covent Garden (which sadly I can't find anything about anymore!).



 This said, I bet this will be in fashion again in around a decade - fashion recycles it seems.
I think Grumpy Cat sums up my current feelings on these fashions though!

awkward negative stare


Hope you enjoyed my post today - I really enjoyed writing it! Made me think back to the days when we didn't have exams that counted for anything and finding a job wasn't the stark reality of tomorrow.

Dayummmm.


Thanks for reading! Let me know if you can think of any other trends that belong in this list - I've definitely missed a lot!


http://instagram.com/yinyinloves

2 comments:

  1. I really can't believe I used to just live in leggings and uggs when I was younger...it makes me cringe so bad when I see photos of myself back then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I feel you Charlotte - maybe we'll learn to appreciate it as.. 'vintage' when we're a little older haha! Bet all these fashions will be coming back before we know it! D:

      Delete

What do you think? Let me know :)

Don't forget to check out my Instagram, Tumblr and Twitter!

Thank you for every single one of your comments - I really love reading them and appreciate your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...